Cricket South Africa has announced a new format “3T Cricket” for the return of cricket in the country, in which three teams will be seen playing in the same match. These three teams will take part in the first Solidarity Cup on June 27 [Update: Cricket South Africa postponed this league for an indefinite period]
The Solidarity Cup will be a showcase event of the brand-new cricket format. In this cup, 3 teams with 24 players from South Africa will participate. The three teams participating in the Solidarity Cup are Eagles, Kingfishers, and Kites.
AB de Villiers is appointed as the captain of the Eagles while Kagiso Rabada has been made the captain of the Kingfishers. Quinton de Kock will take over the captaincy of the Eagles team. This will be the first match to be played in South Africa since the lockdown was announced in March 2020. This match will also be telecast live.
Teams of 3T Cricket
Eagles: AB de Villiers (c), Aiden Markram, Lungi Ngidi, Andile, Phehlukwayo, Rassie van der Dussen, Junior Dala, Kyle Verreynne, Sisanda Magala.
Kingfishers: Kagiso Rabada (c), Faf du Plessis, Chris Morris, Tabraiz Shamsi, Reeza Hendricks, Janneman Malan, Heinrich Klaasen, Glenton Stuurman
Kites: Quinton de Kock (c), David Miller, Temba Bavuma, Anrich Nortje, Dwayne Pretorius, Beuran Hendricks, JJ Smuts, Lutho Sipamla
Rules of 3T Cricket
- A match of 3T Cricket consists of a total of 36 overs which will be divided into two halves of 18-18 overs.
- In the first half, a team will play for 6 overs against one opposition team. While the remaining 6 overs will be played against the other opposition team in the second half.
- After the fall of the 7th wicket, the player will be allowed to bat alone but he can run for 2 or hit a boundary.
- Each bowling team has to use the same ball for both the opposition for 12 overs.
- A bowler can bowl a maximum of 3 overs.
- Most runs win the Gold, second-team Silver and third team to get bronze. If all the three-teams tie, all team gets gold. If two team tie for most runs then Super over will decide Gold.
Playing Condition of the match
Due to coronavirus CSA’s chief medical officer, Dr. Shuaib Manjra has made strict rules for playing.
“First of all it will be an empty stadium, we’re looking at the minimum number of people being there for the event to happen and be broadcast, which is about 200. The players will get in three days before and be kept in a sanitised eco-system… In the stadium, everyone will wear masks and doors will be kept open along with other safety measures.”
South Africa played their last match against Australia on 7 March. After this, the South Africa team reached India to play 3 ODIs. But due to the Coronavirus epidemic team returned home without playing a single match.