The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has terminated the players’ contract as ‘The Hundred’ league postponed. ECB was going to organize the 100–100 ball matches for the first time. The league was to be held from July 17 to August 8 this year, but the ECB has postponed it for a year, just a week before the coronavirus epidemic.
Almost all the June-July sports tournaments have been postponed or canceled due to Covid-19. The Tokyo Olympic has been also postponed for a year and the Indian Premier League (IPL) has been also postponed indefinitely.
About the 100 Ball league
The 8-8 teams of men and women were to participate in The Hundred League. In October last year, 8 teams of the league selected male players through drafts. While the selection process of the players for the women’s team was going on.
The ECB had planned to start ‘The Hundred’ League keeping the summer holidays in mind. Each franchise will have a women’s and a men’s team. But now “The Hundred” league is postponed to the next year.
ECB Chief Executive says,
“The situation we find ourselves in as a country means that delivery of the Hundred will not be possible this summer,”
Contract of players terminated
The ECB has issued a statement confirming the termination of the contract of all players and stated that the letter of termination of the contract has been sent to all the players. The ECB has said that the league had decided to postpone it by a year. Now “The Hundred” league will be launched in 2021.